Richest of the rich
The NYTimes helpfully compiles the richest Americans of all time (adjusted for the percentage of the economy as a whole). Bill Gates is only #5. John Rockefeller, in today's dollars, would be worth $192 billion. I was surprised by the number of people I'd never heard of. CP Huntington, A.T. Stewart, Jay Gould, yes. But who new that Frederick Weyerhauser, lumber king (whose name, I assume, lives on here) is the eighth richest, with wealth equivalent to $68 billion?
A good portion of these (white) men made their money through finance, but the vast majority got rich by monopolizing natural resources (oil, lumber, land) or services (transportation, Windows, etc.)
A good portion of these (white) men made their money through finance, but the vast majority got rich by monopolizing natural resources (oil, lumber, land) or services (transportation, Windows, etc.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home