Wednesday, November 07, 2007

White Mountains

About two weeks ago, I got a chance to spend one night and a couple days driving around the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Photos follow:
The Flume Gorge at Franconia State park.
The foliage - I hadn't quite realized that when they say the foliage is "past peak" that doesn't mean that it's slightly less brilliant than when at its peak. No, it actually means that all the leaves have fallen off the tree. At least there were a few left by the time we got there, and as a bonus, there were very few other tourists.

A nice vantage point outside our lodge. Unfortunately it was too cold to sit there.

Remains of an old mill alongside a river.

The historian in me couldn't resist this one: the site of the 1944 conference that created the world bank and IMF.

Looks like a nice place to stay as far as I'm concerned. But John Maynard Keynes, the famous British economist, was less excited when he heard the conference would last several weeks:
unless that is a misprint for several days, it is not easy to see how the main monkey-house is going to occupy itself. It would seem probable that acute alcohol poisoning would set in before the end. (quoted in Elizabeth Borgwardt, A New Deal for the World p.121-22)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pickle said...

Great pictures!

I feel like the leaves never peaked here in NYC. Though they were starting to get lovely a few weeks ago upstate.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home