Old rich white guys know how to party
Found today a program from the 9th annual dinner of the University Club of Washington, D.C., February 8, 1913. Included a song book. Began with “America the beautiful," ended w/Star-Spangled Banner and Auld Lange Syne (sp?), but in between there were a few more raucous numbers, such as:
Under the Anheuser Bush
Talk about the shade of the sheltering palms,
Praise the bamboo tree and its wide spreading charms,
There’s a little bush that grows right here in town,
You know its name, it has won such renown,
Often with my sweetheart just after the play,
To this little place then my footsteps will stray;
If she hestitates when she looks at the sign,
Softy I whisper, ‘Now, Sue, don’t decline.’
Chorus:
Come, come, come and make eyes with me,
Under the Anheuser Bush.
Come, come, drink some ‘Budwise’ with me
Under the Anheuser Bush.
Hear the old German band, la, la, la, la, la, la, la,
Just let me hold your hand, Yah!
Do, do, come have a stein or two,
Under the Anheuser Bush, Bush, Bush.
Or:
When I get you alone tonight
When I get you alone tonight,
When I get you alone tonight,
You know we’ll sit by the window, pull down the shade,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, don’t be afraid.
There’ll be no one around to hear,
There’ll be no one around to fear,
We’ll be loving, billing, cooing, just like everybody’s doing,
When I get you alone tonight.
I think R. Kelly is blushing. OK, not really.
Oh, and the dinner menu:
Grapefruit, au Kirsch
Cups of Gumbo
Boston Lemon Sole, Marguerite
Filet of Beef with Fresh Mushrooms (w/New String Beans and Potatoes Parisienne)
Sorbet de Fantaisie
Virginia Squab, en Casserole (w/Waldorf Salad)
Ices University (w/Assorted Cakes)
Coffee
Served w/the following beverages, of course:
Martini Cocktails
Sauterne
Claret
White Rock
Cigars
Fatima Cigarettes
Moet & Chandon White Seal Very Dry
Moet & Chandon Imperial Crown Brut Cuvee AA
(and, according to the Washington Post from the following day, when not singing, the attendees were cheering departing President Taft's speech condemning Progressivism - it would soon die out, he stated - and listening to former Senator Joseph Bailey complain that "our universities and colleges have become the hothouses of socialism and discontent")
Good times!
Under the Anheuser Bush
Talk about the shade of the sheltering palms,
Praise the bamboo tree and its wide spreading charms,
There’s a little bush that grows right here in town,
You know its name, it has won such renown,
Often with my sweetheart just after the play,
To this little place then my footsteps will stray;
If she hestitates when she looks at the sign,
Softy I whisper, ‘Now, Sue, don’t decline.’
Chorus:
Come, come, come and make eyes with me,
Under the Anheuser Bush.
Come, come, drink some ‘Budwise’ with me
Under the Anheuser Bush.
Hear the old German band, la, la, la, la, la, la, la,
Just let me hold your hand, Yah!
Do, do, come have a stein or two,
Under the Anheuser Bush, Bush, Bush.
Or:
When I get you alone tonight
When I get you alone tonight,
When I get you alone tonight,
You know we’ll sit by the window, pull down the shade,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, don’t be afraid.
There’ll be no one around to hear,
There’ll be no one around to fear,
We’ll be loving, billing, cooing, just like everybody’s doing,
When I get you alone tonight.
I think R. Kelly is blushing. OK, not really.
Oh, and the dinner menu:
Grapefruit, au Kirsch
Cups of Gumbo
Boston Lemon Sole, Marguerite
Filet of Beef with Fresh Mushrooms (w/New String Beans and Potatoes Parisienne)
Sorbet de Fantaisie
Virginia Squab, en Casserole (w/Waldorf Salad)
Ices University (w/Assorted Cakes)
Coffee
Served w/the following beverages, of course:
Martini Cocktails
Sauterne
Claret
White Rock
Cigars
Fatima Cigarettes
Moet & Chandon White Seal Very Dry
Moet & Chandon Imperial Crown Brut Cuvee AA
(and, according to the Washington Post from the following day, when not singing, the attendees were cheering departing President Taft's speech condemning Progressivism - it would soon die out, he stated - and listening to former Senator Joseph Bailey complain that "our universities and colleges have become the hothouses of socialism and discontent")
Good times!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home