Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Joe the Plumber

I was surprised to hear about "joe the plumber" in tonight's debate, because I happened earlier today to watch a video of Obama talking to the very same Joe about his tax plan and how it would affect Joe's business income. Everyone should check it out:
Obama is really smart and straightforward here. Look, he says, you will end up paying slightly more taxes (3% more, to be precise) on the amount of your income that exceeds $250,000. But, he continues, this is fundamentally just--imagine yourself 15 years ago, before you were in the position to buy this business. Wouldn't you have wanted the money then? I'm giving the money to people like you 15 years ago.

It's a shame that this kind of in-depth, nuanced response can't fit into the way campaigns are conducted in prime time. Obama's answer to Joe himself was much better than the one he was able to offer in the debate itself.

Hopefully, thanks to youtube, more people can watch the full answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home