Sunday, January 21, 2007

this scene didn't make it into the movie

Rodeos have nothing on SEC football. Sacha Baron Cohen recalls the latter:

During his NPR interview he recalled making an appearance as Bruno, the flamboyantly homosexual fashion journalist, in front of a crowd of 60,000 football fans in Alabama. “The moment I appeared the crowd started jeering and booing and shouting ‘faggot’ and spitting,” he says. "I had hired a bodyguard and when the jeering started I turned to see where the bodyguard was. I could just see the back of his head as he was running out of the stadium."
This comes from a recent interview, or rather, an article about recent interviews. Worth reading, especially for the parts about Baron Cohen's early love of breakdancing, his dissertation on Jews in the US Civil Rights movement, and the invention of Ali-G:

The first was MC Jocelyn Cheadle-Hume, an Ali G-style figure loosely based on the Radio 1 DJ Tim Westwood, who affects a gangsta rapper style despite being white and the son of a bishop.

One day, while out filming as this character, Baron Cohen spotted a group of white skateboarders and went to join them. “Me and Mike looked at each other and suddenly had this realisation that people believe this character,” he says. “At that point a tourist bus turned up at a bus stop right next to us. I looked at Mike and he looked at me. So we jumped on and essentially commandeered the bus. I took the microphone and I was like ‘Yo, check it out. I is here and this is me bus. Booyakasha’.”

[link via cliopatria]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home