You can't be serious
At ESPN's Page 2, Art Garfamudis (is that really your name?) explains that moneyball has ruined the game of baseball because now we have too many stats. Furthermore, anyone who is into stats is a Star Trek geek (yes, he really says this). Also, using newfangled stats (which are more predictive and more accurately measure player value) is really bad because it reveals that some players who traditional stats undervalue are in fact good enough to play baseball:
Until proven otherwise, I am going to assume that this article was actually written by a robot that aggregates every story written on firejoemorgan. And I'll leave it to the fine bloggers at that site to destroy Garfamudis's argument.
UPDATE: Satire it is apparently. Like I thought, FJM was on the case:
Makes sense to me: Keep adding statistics and eventually, you'll find something that will qualify everyone on the planet for being a pro ballplayer. Mark my words: Jeremy Brown was the first step on the slippery slope that will eventually lead to the ballplaying ranks being filled with ungainly looking types who should be stocking shelves or digging ditches. This is the kind of world that the "Moneyballists" have wished on us.So, blame Billy Beane for ugly baseball players? But, um, what about this guy?
Until proven otherwise, I am going to assume that this article was actually written by a robot that aggregates every story written on firejoemorgan. And I'll leave it to the fine bloggers at that site to destroy Garfamudis's argument.
UPDATE: Satire it is apparently. Like I thought, FJM was on the case:
But to answer some questions we've gotten:
No, we didn't write it.
No, we don't know who did.
Yes, we think it's meant to be a satirical anti-Moneyball piece, and therefore, ostensibly, a pro-Moneyball piece. But it's pretty hard to tell.

1 Comments:
I thought the only reason people still watched baseball was for the OCD stat-keeping.
Post a Comment
<< Home